Thursday, January 24, 2008

Food for the Poor Orphanage

Today some of the team was at the clinic while others went to Food for the Poor orphanage.

The rehabilitation resident (MD) that is with us was teaching a class for Haitian rehabilitation techs (trained by Healing Hands) on proper seating and how to correctly fit disabled children for wheelchairs. Hopefully it has gone well and they are learning skills to better assist the patients that come to the clinic for services.

My experience at Food for the Poor was a good but difficult one. It is always hard to see that place and the kids that are there. It makes my heart ache. We finished measuring all of the kids that are waiting for specialized "CP" (cerebral palsy) wheelchairs from the Wheels for Humanity shipment. We also did some education with the staff at the orphanage on basic therapy skills, etc. In addition, we helped feed the kids and played with them a lot, giving them some much-needed attention and one-on-one time - something they don't get much of.

I was able to see some of the kids I think so much about when I am not in Haiti. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to spend another day with them.

I woke up feeling pretty sad and discouraged this morning, giving the day a rough start. It seems that the sadness and feelings of being overwhelmed hits me when I am least expecting it. I am able to make it through the day okay but the second I let guard down it is very hard to keep it together.

I realize the depth and the extent of the need here in Haiti and I just don’t know how it is ever going to change. I have faith that things can and will be better someday in Haiti and I will do all I can to make that happen. It’s just so hard to accept the things I cannot change. It takes such small steps to accomplish even small things and it can be very frustrating and discouraging. But at the same time, I have to trust that what we are doing here is making a difference, even though it takes a lot of effort, dedication and time.

Despite the frustrations and sad feelings I have expressed throughout this experience so far, I would do it a thousand times over because I know with all my heart that it is worth it. I know that things have got to change here and I truly believe they are.

I hope all is well everyone.

Love,

Erin

P.S. I hope to share pictures soon. It is so frustrating because I am constantly trying to upload some onto the blog, but it keeps on failing. I have some that I really want to post and I will keep trying to do so over the next few days.

No comments: