Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Institut Espoir (Rainbow of Love)

Hi Everyone -

Today I was at an orphanage called Institut Espoir. It is a facility Healing Hands has been working with for several years and it is a much better, more encouraging place than where we were yesterday. Our mission today was to evaluate the seating systems that each of the kids have and determine which children could benefit from a new wheelchair from the Wheels for Humanity shipment that is on its way (supposedly). This orphanage has great kids (as they all do). They have 22 disabled children as well as a number of “normal” children that are up for adoption. Overall, the kids seemed happy and well cared for. We all keep saying “If only this kid were in the United States…” The difference between the two worlds is so great and it’s extremely hard to accept. Based on Haiti’s tumultuous history it’s easy to see why the country has struggled so much. But there is absolutely no good reason for it to be allowed to stay this way.

The “moms” at Institut Espoir seemed to really respond to the kids and react when the kids were unhappy. They appear to truly care for the kids. It was very refreshing to experience an orphanage that is doing the best they can with what they have. Because of the work Healing Hands has done with Institut Espoir over the years, they are relatively well-supplied with rehab supplies such as wheelchairs for the kids. They have also received training in rehab and therapy. They are more equipped in many ways than other orphanages like the one we were at yesterday for example.We determined that 4 of the children out of the 22 could use a new chair, ones that are modified to fit their individual needs. So we measured these 4 kids and did some therapy with the rest of them while we were there. We also took a big garbage bag full of Fuzzi Bunz to Institut Espoir. The diapers were a hit! This was so nice and made me very happy! The caregivers immediately started putting the new diapers on the kids after explaining their use, removing the huge rags and pieces of old clothing they had been using.

The little nine month old boy with Down’s Syndrome from the clinic that is receiving one of the donated Convaid wheelchairs came to the clinic with his mom today to pick it up. Since I was at the orphanage, I did not get to see him. However, one of my teammates took some great pictures for me, which I have already gotten to see. I could not be happier to know that he was one of the kids that got a chair. I just hope it makes he and his mom’s already tough life a little bit easier.

Another part of the team went to Food for the Poor orphanage today. I have been to Food for the Poor on both of my last two trips to Haiti and I know the conditions are disheartening. The people that went today learned that 20 new kids have been added since last year, but without any additional funding. These orphanages struggle so much just to get the kids fed, which is why conditions are so poor. I’m somewhat nervous about going there tomorrow just because I know it has made me quite sad in the past. There are a number of kids I absolutely can’t wait to see, especially my buddy Evans (he is the one in my blog profile picture – I just love him).

Well, the electricity is out in the Guesthouse again. It’s been happening off and on since we’ve been here.

Thanks for visiting and I hope all is well with everyone.

Love,

Erin

No comments: