Saturday, January 19, 2008

Our Visit to Creche de Jesus Orphanage in Lamardelle

So we arrived in Haiti at 9AM today. As I mentioned in my previous blog, I was supposed to be going to visit an orphanage in Lamardelle with one of my teammates who is interested in adopting from Haiti. When our flight was cancelled yesterday I didn’t think we’d be going to the orphanage today since we were not going to be here in time to meet with Lucien, the man in charge of the orphanage and their adoptions. However, we were waiting at the baggage claim and all of a sudden my teammate and I were told that we had to grab our things and go because Lucien was waiting for us in the airport parking lot! So we hurriedly left the airport and the rest of the team and we rode with Lucien to the orphanage in the country next to his family’s plantation. We learned a lot about the adoption process, which was interesting.

The driving today was insane, as always. Each time I’ve been here, it is hard to adjust to seeing such sad things all over the place. Everywhere I turn I see someone that makes my heart ache. I’m sure it sounds weird to you, but it feels SO good to be back despite the difficulty I have seeing people in such desperate conditions here in Haiti. I think about this place and how I can do something to help every single day that I’m not here. So it is such a relief to actually be back where I CAN do something, although it’ll never be enough. I know the difference we are able to make in Haiti is small, but to the people we help it is a big difference.

When we got to the orphanage today, the kids went crazy. They got so excited and everyone raced to see who could jump into our arms first. I ended up on the floor with literally 8-10 kids hanging all over me. They were so cute and happy to have the attention. It was awesome to get to see them and hold them for a few minutes. I loved it so much. One little boy was holding on so tight and he cried very hard when I put him down. It was VERY hard to walk away. Also, I know it probably sounds like I'm making this up, but the kids kept saying this one sentence over and over in Kreyol that I could not understand. When I asked Lucien what they were saying, he said the kids were asking me when their mommy was coming. I wish I hadn't asked. )-:

Tonight we are drinking Prestige Beer (love Prestige!!!) and then going to bed to get a good night’s sleep – finally! We are absolutely exhausted and can’t wait to get rested up.

Tomorrow we will be working hard to unpack all of our stuff. It is exciting that we are going to be getting out into the orphanages and clinic soon! I can’t wait.

We are doing a joint project with an organization called Wheels for Humanity. They distribute pediatric wheelchairs to disabled kids all over the world in third world countries. We are hoping the shipement of at least 150 wheelchairs has arrived, but we haven’t gotten word yet as to whether it has. We are all crossing our fingers! If it has arrived, we will be going to orphanages and measuring kids for the chairs and then distributing them. If the shipment has NOT come, we will be doing the measurements and another team from Healing Hands will do the distributing when the chairs are actually here. I sure hope they come! What a great project and joint effort! Wheels For Humanity does amazing things and together we can do even more.

Tonight an artist came to the Guesthouse selling the voodoo flags he makes by hand. He comes every year and this time he didn't waste any time in coming! The flags are incredible!!! I am so excited because I purchased two of them and they are so beautiful and intricate. My goal as far as the purchasing of art this time in Haiti was to buy a voodoo flag, so mission complete!!! I am so excited about them.

Thanks for visiting the site. I’m off to bed soon. Yeah!!! I hope all is well with everyone.

Love,

Erin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun to read this blog!!!! We can't wait to hear more about your adventures and experiences in Haiti! Sounds like your trip started off a bit rough. Do you think you will be adopting a cute haitian child so our kids can be buddies??? Kevin said he was fine with it :) Can't wait to hear more about all the great things you guys are doing! Take Care! :) Brooke and Zachary

Grant said...

This blog is so great! I am so happy to know what you are experiencing as you experience it...for the record, I wish you hadn't asked what the kids are saying...please be strong...